We believe the arts are uniquely capable of inspiring the collaboration and creative thinking crucial for effectively addressing complex social and environmental issues.
RuckusRoots is an LA-based 501(c)(3) non profit organization that merges the arts and sustainability into empowering, interactive experiences for young adults and teens. We aim to provide underserved youth in Los Angeles with artistic opportunities that connect them to their communities, the planet and their own creative powers. Through immersive events, interactive installations, collaborative programs and thought-provoking public art, we unveil the positive, creative side of sustainability, transforming participants into proactive agents of change.
1. Create a positive environment in which participants discover and express their own creative powers
2. Instill participants with a sense of responsibility towards the environment and their local community.
3. Empower participants by teaching them new art, building and DIY techniques they can utilize to create a sustainable lifestyles and stable, creative futures.
4. Encourage art as a platform for expression about eco and social issues
5. Engage participants, local businesses and community members in collaborative sustainable art projects
6. Improve relationships between schools, students, local businesses and community members by creating awareness around the benefits of sustainable collaboration on the local level.
7. Support practicing artists and provide participants with mentoring and internship opportunities with local artists.
8. Support the arts by creating programs that illustrate the value of art as a vehicle for change, and as a sustainable lifestyle practice.
9. Provide arts programming in communities where it is lacking
10. Uncover environmental and social problems affecting the communities in which we work, and use the art we create to instigate the dialogue needed to improve them.
“Human resources are like natural resources; they’re often buried deep. You have to go looking for them, they’re not just lying around on the surface. You have to create the circumstances where they show themselves.”
― Ken Robinson