Empowering youth to ask questions, gather information and do the required research to create real change in their neighborhoods.
Launching in 2018 with support from LUSH Cosmetics
Here’s how it works:
- Students use technology to interview community members (family, neighbors, etc.) about sustainability issues that impact their daily lives; i.e. traffic, pollution, littering, etc.
- Students compile video diaries of their research and learn fundamental data collection and analysis
- Students learn community organizing and engagement: building relationships with people in your community and listening to understand what issues affect their lives and matter to them.
- Students use compiled stories and data to create 1) visual graphics and 2) individual art pieces (guerrilla style art posters) illustrating the major issues and concerns in their community.
- The project will culminate in the students using these materials to create a presentation for local government leaders (i.e. neighborhood council or city council) on the top 2-3 sustainability issues affecting their community right now.
- Students will also present data and artwork at a local community event to further build interest and engagement in the community around these sustainability issues.