RuckusRoots believes in the power of art to inspire positive change in the world.
Our mission is to grow stronger, more equitable communities by co-creating artistic opportunities with underrepresented Los Angeles residents and youth. Our collaborative programs strive to uncover challenges facing communities through connection and engagement, acknowledging that creativity plays a crucial role in fostering social, economic and environmental justice for all.
- Interactive: Art has an active, not passive, role.
- Collaborative: Programs are co-created with community members based on community interest.
- Creative: The artistic creativity of participants and co-creators is centered.
- Change-Making: Programs aim to affect positive change at the local level, addressing a need or desire identified by community members.
• Community Driven: Multi-generational, multi-level community involvement, including family, local business and audience.
- Co-create arts programming in communities where it is lacking and desired.
- Advocate for education and awareness around the connections that exist between artistic, social and environmental justice.
- Use our platform to amplify the voices of those who identify with marginalized, vulnerable or underrepresented social and cultural groups.
- Center and share resources with local artists who come from the communities in which we work.
- Support the arts by creating programs that illustrate how creative practice exists at the intersection of social, environmental, racial and economic justice.
Read our statement of Equity and Inclusion
“Human resources are like natural resources; they’re often buried deep. You have to go looking for them, they’re not just lying around on the surface. You have to create the circumstances where they show themselves.”
― Ken Robinson