Empowering youth to listen actively, organize effectively, and create meaningful work to engage their communities.
Below, please check out posters, quotes and results from our latest Community Listening Project completed with partners Girls Inc and Lifeline Charter School in Compton, CA.
- Students used technology to interview community members (family, neighbors, etc.) about sustainability issues that impact their daily lives; i.e. traffic, pollution, littering, etc.
- Students compiled their research and learned fundamental data collection and analysis
- Students learned community organizing and engagement: building relationships with people in your community and listening to understand what issues affect their lives and matter to them.
- Students use compiled stories and data to create 1) visual graphics and 2) individual art pieces (guerrilla style art posters) illustrating the major issues and concerns in their community.
- The project culminated in students using these materials to create a presentation for school leaders on the top issue affecting them right now, which was identifyed as bullying and its impact on self-esteem.
- Students presented data and artwork at a local community event to further build interest and engagement in the community around these sustainability issues.