Garden Magic is an outdoor Art and ecology camp for youth age 7-10 that combines education about plants, mushrooms and pollinators with creative art skills!
Here’s a look at what students learned in our first Garden Magic program at Hungry Gardens Urban Farm during the fall of 2021:
- Session 1: Garden Curiosities: Plant a seed and paint your own terra cotta pot
- Session 2: Soil Party: Learn about the science of soil and make your own soil microbe
- Session 3: Native Plants and Pollinators: Learn why native plants are important for healthy food gardens, make a collage out of objects found in nature
- Session 4: Colorful Creations: Discover how veggies, fruits and flowers can be used to dye a piece of cloth!
- Session 5 : A visit from Mushroom Expert Sam Shoemaker, and starting to design our Garden Magic Markers that will mark all of the garden beds at Hungry Gardens
- Session 6: Finish Painting and Placing our Garden Magic Markers!
- Session 7: Our culminating session- parents and friends are invited to help us finish our Magic Markers and celebrate our accomplishments beautifying the garden!
This project is funded in part by the Tah Dah Foundation